måndag 13 april 2015

Open innovation - a love story!

About two years ago I "fell in love" with open innovation. I had been thinking about different aspects in public transport that was going on, for example Travel hack. I had been on a conference and tried speed innovation (which by the way didn´t go very well). All these activities were quite confusing for me. Then suddenly someone mentioned open innovation and Henry Chesbrough and all pieces fell into place like a puzzel. And I was in love with a theory.

Open innovation is a wonderful concept but there seems to be several limitations, especially in private sector. In public sector it could really be a shift of paradigm, and it already is in many cases. In public sector we don´t have to worry som much about sharing and negative consequences. For us it is much easier to collaborate, open up our data and involve users, and other relevant stakeholders.

I also love the concept om smart cities. If we use the basics of open innovation and combine that with smart cities we could lay a foundation of a sustainable development and a smart system om mobility.

10 kommentarer:

  1. I agree. I think it is easier to open up data in the public sector. But I also believe that the private sector need to reconsider risks (competitors may use your data) and possible outcomes (new ideas, satisfied customers, more turnover). The use of open innovation often results in competitive advantages like being one step ahead.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Not finished yet. :-) You can provide more value than your competitors so you can charge more than your competitors.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Agree to all said. I also think open innovation has the potentiel to be more cost efficient as more share the cost of it and also (as mentioned by you guys already) that open innovation can tune-up the innovativeness as more heads think better / smarter thoughts.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Agree to all said. I also think open innovation has the potentiel to be more cost efficient as more share the cost of it and also (as mentioned by you guys already) that open innovation can tune-up the innovativeness as more heads think better / smarter thoughts.

    SvaraRadera
  5. I agree to what you said about the privat sector. I also think that it sometimes can be hard to use open innovation in huge companies. It feels like the customer insight is very often lost if it has go through too many departments and I believe bigger companies need to work on how to keep the insight through all developing septs.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I guess many companies doesn't have a defined innovation (or development) process, forcing too many parties or departments to have their say. But there are examples of the opposite, most probably Apple and Google are among them.

      Radera
  6. I read your blogpost and the comments, and after reading all I reflect on the comment that Ronja gave about the bigger companies and that insights are lost on the way. When I reflect about this I think it can be a challenge for the bigger companies. I also wonder how many companies that actually has a method for evaluating the new ideas coming from users, customers and co-.workers. The more innovative companies may have, but what about all the other companies? So the challenge is also, what happens to all ideas in the companies that does not have a structured way of handling them.

    SvaraRadera
  7. Hi I can understand your love story to open innovation especially when it comes to social and environmental purposes. I think most employees sooner or later become very stick to internal obstacles and lose their free mind which I think is necessary if there is going to be any changes and innovations.

    SvaraRadera
  8. Hi I can understand your love story to open innovation especially when it comes to social and environmental purposes. I think most employees sooner or later become very stick to internal obstacles and lose their free mind which I think is necessary if there is going to be any changes and innovations.

    SvaraRadera
  9. I would say there are examples of commercial companies using open innovation - it's just a question of finding a suitable business concept and to maintain some sort of control of the outcome. I do hope it will spread some more, since it taps an almost infinite brain reserve...

    SvaraRadera